Revealing My Boo–ks (some of them)

15 Jun

First, let me say, I sometimes get carried away by flying monkees. Now here are some of my shelves:

My gym bookshelves 008My gym bookshelves 007My gym bookshelves 006My gym bookshelves 003Bookshelves 026OK, take a breath. You’re in this for the long haul…

Bookshelves 025Bookshelves 023 Bookshelves 019 Bookshelves 018 Bookshelves 017 Bookshelves 016 Bookshelves 015 Bookshelves 013 Bookshelves 012 Bookshelves 011 Bookshelves 010 Bookshelves 009 Bookshelves 006 Bookshelves 005 Bookshelves 004 Bookshelves 003 Bookshelves 002 Bookshelves 001

I’ve shown you a bit of my world. Will you show me yours? Call of the Siren and I would love to go a-gawking. Cheers!

Other bookshelves for your viewing pleasure:

42 Responses to “Revealing My Boo–ks (some of them)”

1. FictionFan June 15, 2013 at 2:04 pm #

Good Lord! You make me look quite restrained! And you’re so organised – there’s a definite logic to your system, whereas mine just involves bunging a book in anywhere I can find a space…

So that’s what IQ84 looks like in hardback (I kindled it). Did you need some kind of lifting gear to read it? And is there really such a thing as the Best Writing on Mathematics? 😉

• Jilanne Hoffmann June 15, 2013 at 2:17 pm #

Ha! I’d say I do quite a bit of “bunging in” to get things to fit. We used a small crane to read 1Q84, and yes, some of the best “math writers” do other things, like play the piano. One interesting essay in the math book is written by Vijay Iyer who discusses the Fibonacci series and how he uses math to structure his music. Fascinating stuff! We heard him in concert here, and the man is amazing! Anyway, I just realized that I shelved “Shame” and “Hunger” on opposite ends of the same shelf. Hmmmmm. What does that mean? :o)

• FictionFan June 15, 2013 at 3:12 pm #

The missing words seem to be ‘Shame…I have no chocolate or I wouldn’t be feeling this…Hunger.’ See? It makes perfect sense, now! 😉

• Jilanne Hoffmann June 15, 2013 at 3:14 pm #

But of course! Must find the chocolate stashed somewhere among all these books! I’m feeling faint…

2. tchistorygal June 15, 2013 at 5:39 pm #

I updated my page, just for you. http://wp.me/P2jC53-Oi I added a few pictures of my bookcases. the space is tight, and the lighting dim, so they are not the best quality, but it was fun to do. I can hear my thought splashing in the well as I drop it. 🙂

• Jilanne Hoffmann June 15, 2013 at 9:44 pm #

And thank you for updating your page in response to our bookshelf blog hop. It’s kind of like a garden tour. :o)

3. heylookawriterfellow June 15, 2013 at 6:09 pm #

I love what you’ve done with the place!

I’ll soon put up pics of my books, too. What’s fair is fair.

4. Call of the Siren June 15, 2013 at 6:54 pm #

Whoa, dang, you took a lot of pics. Nice!

Sent from my iPhone

• Jilanne Hoffmann June 15, 2013 at 9:37 pm #

Like I said, sometimes the flying monkeys carry me away. :o)

5. limebirdwriters June 17, 2013 at 2:04 am #

Love this post, what a great idea! Look at all those lovely books! Beth

• Jilanne Hoffmann June 17, 2013 at 9:20 am #

Oh please, can I take a look at your shelves? :o)

• limebirdwriters June 18, 2013 at 1:14 am #

Ack, I don’t really have proper shelves, my books are just strewn everywhere! haha!

6. Professor VJ Duke June 17, 2013 at 6:14 pm #

Wow! I think you got a little of everything! Nice collection. My shelves aren’t that organized.

• Jilanne Hoffmann June 18, 2013 at 11:09 am #

Organization is highly overrated. Unless you’re OCD, I guess. :o) Give us a peek at yours?

7. Ray Sharp June 20, 2013 at 11:07 am #

more revealing than an underwear drawer. I may do this, too. thanks for the inspiration

• Jilanne Hoffmann June 20, 2013 at 11:16 am #

Oh please turn your “may” into a “will”! I’d love to take a peek.

8. FictionFan June 20, 2013 at 12:31 pm #

There’s an added benefit to this for really lazy, disorganised people – not unlike myself. I can now sit downstairs, hunt down a book on the laptop and then go straight to it! All that squatting and stretching to see top and bottom shelves is a thing of the past… 😉

• Jilanne Hoffmann June 20, 2013 at 12:36 pm #

You are so right. I now remember our insurance company telling us we should photograph all the books we own. If some disaster strikes we would immediately have a record of them all. Didn’t think about the benefit of quickly finding books from remote locations. I wouldn’t call it lazy though, I’d call it efficient. :o)

• FictionFan June 20, 2013 at 12:47 pm #

That’s because you’re a very nice person… 😀

• raimo2 October 12, 2014 at 1:25 am #

Another method is to make a list of books owned, and add to it as new books arrive. I do mine on the computer, on Excel, and have it backed up in several places. Handy when in a bookshop and not remembering which books are already owned. Whip out the iPad and look it up.

• Jilanne Hoffmann October 12, 2014 at 11:00 am #

That’s a brilliant idea! This plan would have saved me from buying the same book twice many times. 😀

9. Subtlekate July 1, 2013 at 4:33 pm #

I miss my books after looking at these. Beautiful. I think books together make art.

• Jilanne Hoffmann July 1, 2013 at 6:07 pm #

I agree! That’s how I defend my library from the “books are not art” vulture in my house–the one who prefers “Noise” to “Silent Muse.” 😮

10. Jilanne Hoffmann July 3, 2013 at 12:18 am #

Just added ReadnCook’s boo–ks. Woohoo!!!

11. Subtlekate July 7, 2013 at 10:30 pm #

Once I unpack them I will get a pic for you.

12. cleopatralovesbooks March 19, 2014 at 12:40 pm #

I’m with Penelope Lively, I miss books I’ve culled in an aim to rationalise my bookshelves but I don’t have room for as many books as you have!

• Jilanne Hoffmann March 19, 2014 at 1:08 pm #

Just as work expands to fill the time allotted, the number of books expands to fill the space allotted. Gotta get more space! Thanks for stopping by!

• Lady Fancifull March 20, 2014 at 3:38 am #

No no – work may expand to fill the time allotted, but the number of books expands to EXCEED the space allotted. Books are like Japanese knotweed, – if you clear a space in your book garden you will find that more quickly than you thought possible the cleared space becomes stifled and strangled with a plethora of new book roots which choked the clear space in the moment you took your eyes off it.

How do they do that? Not to mention, I swear, downloaded themselves in droves to any ereaders?

Never mind the fact that insects called bookworms devour books, it is the other way round – voracious books devour readers. And as for those utterly SHAMELESS books who insist on returning to chomp through the hapless reader again and again – have they no pity? Why do they insist on waking me from my slumbers, whispering seductively – re-read me, re-read me NOW?

• Jilanne Hoffmann March 20, 2014 at 9:36 am #

What you are describing is something Einstein never developed a theory for—the physics of books! The empirical evidence is overwhelming. Where, oh where are the great minds of our time who can find a solution to this problem?

13. 4amWriter March 20, 2014 at 4:28 am #

I’m sorry I missed this post when it first went live. I am not a book hoarder, because I am a minimalist by nature and my house is too small. 🙂 But! If I could have one room at my disposal, I would turn it into a cozy library. It would be my sanctuary.

• Jilanne Hoffmann March 20, 2014 at 9:39 am #

The founders of our son’s school own a place where the kids go for “farm school” where they learn about planting, harvesting and science in general. They turned a small outbuilding into a library. It is my dream. You would love it!

14. dkatiepowellart May 15, 2014 at 7:51 am #

I am enough of a book hoarder that I visited all the folks on your list. Felt a bit like someone peeking through a window. I will post mine on zenkatwrites for the hell of it today. Juneau girl here! Like your site.

• Jilanne Hoffmann May 15, 2014 at 9:08 am #

Oh, yes! Another one I can add to my list. Can’t wait to take a peek!

I’m thinking about making up a bumper sticker:
      biblioyeurs rock!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. What’s on your bookshelf? | reading interrupted. - July 8, 2013

[…] Fellow blogger, Jilanne Hoffman, threw down an interesting challenge a few weeks ago: “Show us your shelves”! […]

2. Proudly presenting… my bookshelves! | Zen Scribbles - July 18, 2013

[…] taking a leaf out of Britt and Letizia‘s books and accepting the challenge posted by Jilane Hoffman … and showing you my bookshelves! Mind you, I have not read every single book on these […]

3. Midst NaNoWriMo – Book Ogling | Jilanne Hoffmann - November 13, 2013

[…] ogled each others’ bookshelves in the past, but these are bookshelves par […]

4. Book Hoarding – Delve into the Psyche | Jilanne Hoffmann - March 19, 2014

[…] knew someone like Penelope Lively could explain why I hoard books (see post “Revealing My Boo–ks” to give you an idea of just how bad it […]