Midnight

1 Jan

Now that I co-own 60+ acres of prime farm ground, I’m thinking about farm subsidies.

My momentary vision: some sort of writers’ subsidy program. Getting paid, just like some farmers, not to produce. Acres and acres of blank paper, lying fallow.

Enjoying the idea, rolling in the papyrus for a moment, but then itching to scratch the odd scrap. Knowing I could never fulfill my part of the subsidy bargain.

I raise a glass to the new year

–and to being an active participant in creating whatever harvest may come from my efforts and those of my compatriots.

Cheers to you and yours!!

6 Responses to “Midnight”

1. Subtlekate January 2, 2013 at 2:09 am #

Happy New Year. I think the subsides are a great idea. I’d be rolling in it for empty pages produced.

• Jilanne Hoffmann January 2, 2013 at 11:11 pm #

You have a wee bit of a distraction at the moment. I am confidant that the tide will turn for you and then you won’t be able to stop the words. :o)

2. Julie Knapp January 2, 2013 at 9:07 am #

Love reading your posts, Jill! Happy New Year to you and the boys.

• Jilanne Hoffmann January 2, 2013 at 11:12 pm #

Thanks, Jules! Happy New Year back at ya! May we have many more wild adventures together in the new year! :o)

3. heylookawriterfellow January 3, 2013 at 6:31 am #

You have a good point. If more writers stopped producing, it would result in bigger paydays for those who do. There must be a way to run with this. i want me a big advance!

• Jilanne Hoffmann January 3, 2013 at 1:29 pm #

Yeah, baby, let the law of supply and demand kick in. And yes, whatever you do, don’t play the futures market. Get that big advance NOW!!.