Listen to Your Mother – video release!!!

14 Jul

So while I’m frantically revising picture book manuscripts to take to Highlights Summer Camp

Fake picture of me….

LTYM_Photo

The Real Me

Listen To Your Mother released the 2016 videos from shows in 41 cities. As promised, here’s my piece in the San Francisco Show! It was a privilege and an honor to be on stage with such amazing women. Cheers!

19 Responses to “Listen to Your Mother – video release!!!”

1. Margarita July 14, 2016 at 3:07 pm #

Beautiful, Jilanne. I don’t know how you held it together.

I’m lucky that my mother is still around. Earlier this year, she wanted to make her will and include bequests. When she asked me what I wanted, I told her she has no possession that is meaningful enough for me to covet. Each time we speak, I always tell her I love her. I know she loves me, too. That’s enough. xoxoM

• Jilanne Hoffmann July 14, 2016 at 5:35 pm #

Thank you! You are so right. Love and the knowledge that one is loved is all that’s needed.

2. FictionFan July 14, 2016 at 3:14 pm #

Oh, Jilanne! So moving! And beautifully told. Thank you for posting the clip – and I’m sure that your divinity will be divine!

• Jilanne Hoffmann July 14, 2016 at 9:32 pm #

Thanks, FF! I’m still working on the divinity. It’s got to melt in your mouth. Mine sort of sits there, waiting for something to happen. But I think I’m getting closer. 😀

3. Letizia July 14, 2016 at 6:16 pm #

So beautiful and you told it so well!
    (I had to use the link you gave in your tweet as the video clip here didn’t include your reading- or perhaps that was just an issue on my computer).
    And why had I imagined you as a brunette?

• Jilanne Hoffmann July 14, 2016 at 9:30 pm #

Thank you, Letizia! I’m not sure why the link didn’t work here. I’ll test it out when I log out of wordpress.

It’s funny that others have imagined me as a brunette, too. I’m still trying to figure out what that means. 😀

4. Lady Fancifull July 15, 2016 at 7:48 am #

Ah, Jilanne, that is special, and, yes, I did gulp and cry.

• Jilanne Hoffmann July 15, 2016 at 8:37 am #

Thanks, LF! Please console yourself with some chocolate. I’m still perfecting the divinity recipe. 😀

5. Lady Fancifull July 15, 2016 at 7:49 am #

Ps. I’d imagined you blonde.

6. Ste J July 17, 2016 at 3:15 am #

Loved it, what an eye opening jaunt into dinnertime, I have no idea how any parent stays sane. I had you down as a brunette too.

• Jilanne Hoffmann July 17, 2016 at 8:19 pm #

Thank you! maybe I should change my hair color….

• Ste J July 18, 2016 at 5:53 am #

No, no, I can get used to the idea!

7. ThisKidReviewsBooks July 18, 2016 at 8:45 am #

You did a great job up there. You did a good job of finding a way of saying the beginning at the end, but with a completely different meaning.
    (Oh, and for the record, I imagined you as a brunette as well – I don’t really know why…) 😉

• Jilanne Hoffmann July 18, 2016 at 8:03 pm #

Thanks, Erik! Ha! Someone should do a social science study of this hair color thing. It’s quite interesting.

8. Kate Johnston July 18, 2016 at 6:17 pm #

How did you do that without breaking down? What a story–my heart went out to you again and again and again. I am in the middle of handling my mother’s estate, and I think about her jewelry now that I’ve watched your video. She had quite a lot of it, but only a few special pieces. I couldn’t begin to tell you if any are family heirlooms, but she probably knew every single story attached to each one. I guess moms are like that. I’m sorry you had to endure that, but I love your ultimate outlook. Send me some of that divinity! 🙂

• Jilanne Hoffmann July 18, 2016 at 8:06 pm #

Thank you, Kate. It’s tough, isn’t it? I do think moms keep track of the stories behind gifts. Maybe dads, too. I do think it was a happy ending for my mom. And I will send you some divinity as soon as I get it right!

9. robert okaji August 22, 2016 at 12:04 pm #

Oh, Jilanne, this was heartrending! Because I enjoy cooking, I have my Mom’s bowls. I see them daily, use them often. And while I don’t bake her cookies, I’ve managed to recreate her fried noodle dish. Mmmm. Now I’m getting hungry. I’m sure they’d go well with some divinity. 🙂

• Jilanne Hoffmann August 25, 2016 at 1:30 pm #

Thank you, Robert! We maintain connections in very tangible ways, don’t we? I’m thinking that fried noodles and divinity make a terrific pairing. 😀