Parts and Even More Parts – Perfect Picture Book Friday

22 Apr

So you’re looking for a couple of books from a brilliant author/illustrator? Ones that will make kids say “ewwww” page after page, all while laughing uproariously? Ones that kids will want to read again and again and again because each little twist is ingenious?

Tedd Arnold’s will do the trick:

Screen Shot 2016-04-20 at 12.00.20 PM

Screen Shot 2016-04-20 at 12.00.34 PM

For the most part, his rhyme is spot on,

“I just don’t know what’s going on

or why it has to be.

But every day it’s something worse.

What’s happening to me?”

but purists will note that the rhyme on the second spread is—inverted! **!!Gasp!!**

“I think it was three days ago

I first became aware—

That in my comb were caught a couple

pieces of my hair.”

Now, one could argue that this book was published in 1997 and the rhyme police have gotten much more strict in recent years. But I will tell you that if you’re an author-illustrator and you come up with something as original as:

IMG_5848

“Then later on (I don’t recall

exactly when it was)

I lifted up my shirt and found

this little piece of fuzz.”

IMG_5849

“I stared at it, amazed, and wondered,

What’s this all about?

But then I understood. It was

my stuffing coming out!”

Editors may give you a “Get Out of Rhyme Jail Free” pass. Page after page of inspired body part distress.

Not content with one body part book, Arnold published a second called “More Parts” (not reviewed here), and a third called “Even More Parts” in 2004. Originally published under the “Dial Books for Young Readers Imprint,” they are now published by Puffin.

“Even More Parts” takes a literal look at body part idioms and their horrifying consequences.

IMG_5850

Tongue-tied, anyone?

Although each page includes small comics of several idioms for each body part, Arnold selects the funniest to fill the spreads. The end papers include mini illustrations of many more. Bonus: All of these books should engage even the most reluctant readers AND PARENTS.

“Even More Parts” could also be used to support Common Core Curriculum in kindergarten through second grade.

Check them out!

Titles: “Parts” & “And Even More Parts”

Author/Illustrator: Tedd Arnold

Publisher: Puffin

Ages: preschool-second grade

This post is in conjunction with Susanna Leonard Hill’s Perfect Picture Book Friday.

29 Responses to “Parts and Even More Parts – Perfect Picture Book Friday”

1. FictionFan April 22, 2016 at 8:06 am #

Goodness! I’m just off to check my stuffing’s not coming out! I might adopt that first verse as my personal mantra…

• Jilanne Hoffmann April 22, 2016 at 10:54 am #

Oh yes, hair, stuffing, teeth, you name it. All kinds of parts falling off. I think Arnold said that he got his first idea for the “Parts” book when his son lay down on the couch, stricken with fear that he was dying because a tooth was loose. They had forgotten to tell him that baby teeth fall out and get replaced by adult teeth. And a book was born!

2. Lindsey McDivitt April 22, 2016 at 8:36 am #

Too funny! These sound wonderful! I only wish I’d thought of the idea…

• Jilanne Hoffmann April 22, 2016 at 10:49 am #

Yes, writers often feel like we’re foraging for strawberries in an over-picked field.

3. Carrie Rubin April 22, 2016 at 9:28 am #

I always enjoyed reading Ted Arnold’s books with my kids when they were young. Such great images. Thanks for a trip down memory lane. 🙂

• Jilanne Hoffmann April 22, 2016 at 10:50 am #

My pleasure! I can’t imagine what it’s like to live with this guy. Probably kind of like living with Robin Williams….

4. julie rowan zoch April 22, 2016 at 11:39 am #

Hope my library has it – I could use some humor today! Headed there in a bit. Thanks, Jilanne

• Leslie Leibhardt Goodman - Writer April 22, 2016 at 12:11 pm #

How did these books escape me? I’m adding them to my library check out list.

• Jilanne Hoffmann April 22, 2016 at 12:15 pm #

It escaped me, too, until now. My son is 12, and I can’t believe we didn’t read these when he was younger. I think you’ll love them!

• Jilanne Hoffmann April 22, 2016 at 12:20 pm #

Julie, I hope they have them waiting for you! There are lots of people needing a lift today. Hugs to you and yours.

5. Catherine Johnson April 22, 2016 at 5:05 pm #

This will be great for both my kids. We love the Fly Guy series. This looks fun.

6. heylookawriterfellow April 22, 2016 at 6:28 pm #

That bellybutton lint freakout page is brilliant.

7. Andrea Mack April 23, 2016 at 9:09 am #

His books are so much fun!

• Jilanne Hoffmann April 23, 2016 at 10:29 am #

Yes, I love his sense of humor. He clearly can think nonlinearly. Cheers!

8. Patricia Tilton April 24, 2016 at 8:34 pm #

Such a creative way to approach a book! This book sounds so funny. I can’t wait to read it!

9. Diane Tulloch April 25, 2016 at 9:22 pm #

Oh I can just see myself going Ewww, Eek as I turn each page on these books. LOL. Kids will love them though.

• Jilanne Hoffmann April 25, 2016 at 10:47 pm #

Oh, yes. There’s a very high “ew” factor. They’ll eat this up then go back to the beginning to they can start all over again. 😀

10. Kate Johnston April 26, 2016 at 3:22 am #

Nothing better for a reluctant reader than an “ew” book!

11. Letizia April 26, 2016 at 3:51 am #

I love the concept behind this book, haha! Children have a way of seeing the world from such a unique perspective and the author has captured that. Plus the drawings are wonderful and silly. Another great selection!

Sorry I haven’t visited in a while- am slowly re-emerging back into the blogosphere 🙂

• Jilanne Hoffmann April 26, 2016 at 12:48 pm #

Good to “hear” your voice! Yes, this author has kids pegged. Does a great job of channeling his inner elementary school child. I just tweeted back at you, wondering where you’ve been. 😀

• Letizia April 26, 2016 at 2:12 pm #

I’ve just been busy with work and such but am slowly making my way to my favourite blogs and Twitter 🙂

• Jilanne Hoffmann April 26, 2016 at 2:24 pm #

Ah yes, that little thing called work. It gets in the way of so many things. 😀 Glad you’re back in touch!

12. Ste J April 27, 2016 at 1:00 am #

I like the stuffing idea, clever books and a way for kids to learn the processes of life and functions of the body. On a slightly unrelated note, I came across this a while back and thought it may amuse…

Librarian Graham Barker has a Guinness World Record after saving 22.1gm of his ‘belly button fluff’. The 45-year-old from Perth, Australia, has collected lint every day for 26 years.

• Jilanne Hoffmann April 27, 2016 at 9:13 am #

Wow! That’s impressive! But I’ve got one question: how do they know it’s from his own belly button and not from the dryer? 😀

• Ste J April 27, 2016 at 9:54 am #

Good point, I suppose if I went around to his house, I wouldn’t be inclined to argue as to have a hobby like that you must be at the best eccentric lol.