Listen to Your Mother – San Francisco

14 Mar

It’s official!

I’ll be performing at the Listen to Your Mother show in San Francisco on May 6th!

Screen Shot 2016-03-14 at 12.48.37 PM

I had submitted a humorous essay last year but was too ill to audition for the show after the piece was selected. Not content to submit the same piece this year, I wrote a new 800-word essay that took me several years to write: five years to reflect on my experience and two weeks to commit to paper this past January.

What was I thinking? What was wrong with sticking to humor?

Me (well, a not so reasonable facsimile) when I began writing:

Me (a more reasonable facsimile) after finishing:

48892079_s

No, the essay has nothing to do with Norman Bates or chainsaws. And yes, there is a bit of humor in what would have been a thoroughly tragic story.

I hope that those who hear it for the first time during the performance will be moved to think about those they love, the things their loved ones hold dear, and what those things signify in their relationships.

Looking forward to sharing the story with you all after the performance. For those who live in the Bay Area, I’d be eternally grateful if you come and cheer me on. Stay tuned for ticket sales info. Cheers!

36 Responses to “Listen to Your Mother – San Francisco”

1. Stacy S. Jensen March 14, 2016 at 1:52 pm #

Congratulations on being selected! Do we say break a leg? Best of luck. And, glad you were able to write about your experience. Well, it’s easier to deal with the tragedy once we find the humor into and cling to the humor.

• Jilanne Hoffmann March 14, 2016 at 2:12 pm #

Thanks, Stacy. I’ll go with either a leg or luck! 😀 Humor saves us, doesn’t it?

2. viviankirkfield March 14, 2016 at 1:55 pm #

WOW…Jilanne…that is fabulous…best of luck…and congratulations on your determination and dedication…those are the hallmarks for success!!!!

• Jilanne Hoffmann March 14, 2016 at 2:13 pm #

Thanks, Vivian! You’re the best and one of the most dedicated (and kind) people I know.

3. Janine Kovac March 14, 2016 at 2:08 pm #

Thrilled that you will be a part of the cast, Jilanne! Keep your peeps posted–tickets will go on sale SOON!

• Jilanne Hoffmann March 14, 2016 at 2:19 pm #

Thanks, Janine. I’m looking forward to performing with such a stellar cast! Am on alert for ticket sales announcements. Cheers!

4. Beth Anderson March 14, 2016 at 2:24 pm #

Wow! Congratulations! Would love to hear it!

• Jilanne Hoffmann March 14, 2016 at 2:28 pm #

Thanks, Beth! If the video of my reading makes it onto the LTYM website, I’ll link to it. Otherwise, I’ll figure out how to do a reasonable recording and post it along with the text.

5. Carrie Rubin March 14, 2016 at 2:42 pm #

Congratulations and best of luck! This is really cool. I suspect you’re more comfortable with public speaking than I am. My knees shake just thinking of it. (But I’ve done it because I’ve had to. I just pull up those big girl pants and get it done with. 🙂 )

• Jilanne Hoffmann March 14, 2016 at 2:46 pm #

Thanks, Carrie! I’m going to have to go rooting through my closet to find a pair of those pants. It’s been awhile since I’ve worn them. Hope they still fit! 😀

6. FictionFan March 14, 2016 at 3:43 pm #

Ooh, congratulations! And good luck! Can’t wait to hear the story… don’t we at least get hints? A blurb??

7. Clanmother March 14, 2016 at 11:30 pm #

Exciting news!!! Congratulations!!!

8. Lady Fancifull March 15, 2016 at 1:58 am #

Oh well DONE, Jilanne. A video link after the event would be wonderful for your many blog by and other friends living too far away from San Fran to attend in real. I hope some of the cookies at least get shared out – even if you can’t upload the whole cookie, we can hopefully nibble on crumbs. I hope it is a terrific evening

9. Ste J March 15, 2016 at 2:01 am #

Massive congratulations, I can’t wait to hear more! If only I lived on your continent I would have my social life much sorted out with people doing such wonderful things as this.

• Jilanne Hoffmann March 15, 2016 at 11:04 am #

Thank you! I’m sure you have quite a busy social life, already, considering what I see on your posts. 😀

• Ste J March 16, 2016 at 1:56 am #

Pretty much all you see of my out and about adventures are purely solitary jaunts but I can’t complain if it brings blog content!

10. Mrs. P March 15, 2016 at 5:36 am #

This is fantastic. Admittedly, I wasn’t familiar with the show and had to listen to it on YouTube…WOW! I’m sharing this and hopefully will be able to inspire some of my Bay Area friends to see the show.

• Jilanne Hoffmann March 15, 2016 at 11:06 am #

Yay! Thank you! If some do come, please ask them to introduce themselves. I love meeting friends of friends!

• Mrs. P March 15, 2016 at 4:22 pm #

Will do ! 😀 😀

By the way, are you still out of town. The reason I ask is I’ll be driving by your area in a couple of weeks. My schedule is very tight but I’d love to stop in and say hi, maybe share some tea or coffee.

• Jilanne Hoffmann March 15, 2016 at 4:50 pm #

Sounds awesome! LMK when you’ll be flying through, and I will make every effort to have a warm cuppa something (or a cold one), depending on time of day. 😀

• Mrs. P March 15, 2016 at 6:43 pm #

Driving from Santa Rosa to Santa Cruz on the 25th of this month…leaving SR about 10 or 11 in the morning. 😀

• Jilanne Hoffmann March 15, 2016 at 9:15 pm #

What’s your route to Santa Cruz once you’re across the GG Bridge?

• Mrs. P March 16, 2016 at 5:34 am #

I figured 280 but can go any way…I might head over to 680 after hooking up with you…there is a special place where near Milpitas where, on a clear day you can see from Hollister to SF. I’m hoping for a clear day.

• Jilanne Hoffmann March 16, 2016 at 9:52 am #

Cool! If you’re going 280, you’ll be in my neck of the woods. Let me think of a place to meet you. Will you want to stop long enough for lunch?

• Mrs. P March 16, 2016 at 6:24 pm #

Lunch sounds great and I like all kinds of food so pick away!

11. Kate Johnston March 15, 2016 at 9:49 am #

So awesomely cool and exciting! Congrats on getting picked twice! That’s really something. Just don’t get sick this time. 🙂

• Jilanne Hoffmann March 15, 2016 at 11:08 am #

No ! I will be avoiding all contact with dreaded infectious disease between now and then. That, and making sure I get enough sleep. Thanks!

12. Mél@nie March 16, 2016 at 6:02 am #

bravo & congrats! 🙂 I was in SF last December and I miss “it’ each and every day… ❤ Mrs P knows why… 😉
    * * *
    my very best, good luck in all your endeavours & friendly thoughts from Toulouse, France, "old Europe" – the land of your ancestors… 🙂

• Jilanne Hoffmann March 16, 2016 at 9:55 am #

Thank you! “It” does get under your skin quickly, doesn’t it. I’ve lived here so long now, I have a hard time imagining living anywhere else. Thanks for stopping by!

• Jilanne Hoffmann March 16, 2016 at 10:14 am #

Oh, and about my ancestors. Of those I know about, one great-grandparent was from the Alsace-Lorraine area of France. Two from Prussia (that’s how they signed the census form) and one from Ireland. And I think there’s a Swede or two thrown in there somewhere. 😀

13. Laurel Leigh March 17, 2016 at 5:20 pm #

I am so proud of you! Man, when you set your mind to something, you get it done. It’s fun to watch.

• Jilanne Hoffmann March 17, 2016 at 9:21 pm #

Thanks, Laurel! You’re the best! And talk about gettin’ stuff done—that’s you! xo

Trackbacks/Pingbacks