One More Reason to Buy Books

6 Jan

In the spirit of improved public health,

a librarian friend sent me a link from “Library Link of the Day” that contains an extremely high “ewwww” factor.

Body Fluid Alert!!!

My own take on this subject? I think library users

32000491_s

have more robust immune systems than the average person.

However, I will support any argument that persuades people to buy more books.

May you all enjoy good health in the new year!

35 Responses to “One More Reason to Buy Books”

1. Marvi Marti January 6, 2016 at 1:56 pm #

ewwww….but I will still use the library, just with hand sanitizer nearby!

• Jilanne Hoffmann January 6, 2016 at 2:22 pm #

Clearly, you are an avid library user, so I must wholeheartedly approve of your reasonable approach. Thanks for stopping by. Cheers!

2. Lady Fancifull January 6, 2016 at 2:20 pm #

Buy used library books and get the best of both worlds?

• Jilanne Hoffmann January 6, 2016 at 2:50 pm #

Do you have a suggestion for disinfection? Something that would pass rigorous public health tests? Or are you a fan of bolstering the immune system with exposure to a wide variety of organisms?

• Lady Fancifull January 7, 2016 at 12:35 am #

Exposure. The library book anxiety crew should realise we breathe each others germies in the air. Until the day we are all hermetically sealed in our own space suit with private air supply…which will of course weaken the immune system anyway. Let champion libraries as a great way of bolstering the immune system

• Jilanne Hoffmann January 7, 2016 at 1:56 pm #

YES! I can see that as a new international campaign. Would you like to be the spokesperson?

3. Carrie Rubin January 6, 2016 at 2:39 pm #

Hehe. A little herpes with your reading? Certainly ups the tension factor!

• Jilanne Hoffmann January 6, 2016 at 2:57 pm #

Who knew that libraries could be so DANGEROUS!? Wondering when the book banners will start using infectious disease as an argument against certain books. But I gotta say, I’m feelin’ for those poor, illiterate guinea pigs.

4. viviankirkfield January 6, 2016 at 3:26 pm #

I’m totally a fan of libraries…as well as used book stores. You know how it is absolutely positive true that there are no calories in a cookie if you only eat the crumbs, right? Well the same thing hold true about being immune from germs on books if you are passionate about reading and/or writing them. 😉 😉 This is so funny, Jilanne. And, if the truth is to be told, there are many more germs on the keys of a computer than in a bathroom. Now THAT is really scary. 😉 🙂

• Jilanne Hoffmann January 7, 2016 at 1:52 pm #

Oh, Vivian, I spent the morning volunteering at my son’s school to answer prospective parents’ questions. Visiting parents are sick. Kids are sick. Staff are sick. I felt like I should have disinfected myself after leaving. I did wash my hands several times afterward. And the laptops that kids share at school? Ewwww. Let’s just all look the other way when it comes to sharing learning tools, including books. But I do think you’re spot on about the passion, whether it’s reading or writing. Makes one immune to all kinds of wiggly things. 😀

5. FictionFan January 6, 2016 at 4:54 pm #

I gotta be honest – I’ve always rather disliked both library and second-hand books for pretty much that reason! (And the fact that some people scribble all over books…) It’s odd, since I am far from being an obsessive house-cleaner. But somehow my own dirt doesn’t bother me in the same way. But it’s a good thing in a way – can you imagine the state of my TBR if I added six library books a week into the mix???

• Jilanne Hoffmann January 7, 2016 at 1:54 pm #

Most likely, your library books would never get returned. They’d be lost in your pile forever. Similar to that black hole theory you’ve been reading about. One’s own dirt is always more hygienic than other peoples’ dirt. It’s one of the laws of physics, isn’t it?

6. Clanmother January 6, 2016 at 7:34 pm #

Oh, this is an eye-opener. I have figured out how to download e-books from the library!! So far, no germ in sight.

• Jilanne Hoffmann January 7, 2016 at 1:55 pm #

I can see that you’re a fan of keeping your germs to yourself. An admirable endeavor. Carry on!

• Clanmother January 7, 2016 at 6:36 pm #

It is a lofty goal!!! I am really enjoying your posts. All the best the 2016.

7. Lady Fancifull January 7, 2016 at 3:43 am #

PS I put my generally excellent immune system down to early exposure to libraries, and, oh……the delights of second hand bookshops and (this might offend some) charity shops for clothes – particularly vintage. I’ve been a lover of what is now called ‘pre-loved’ all my life I love everything about the recycling ethos, and reading a book read by other readers is a bit of an excitement – finding scraps of paper as a bookmark saying ‘bread, phone Aiden, don’t forget – KIDS in strange handwriting is an absolute delight. Bring on the germs, I battle them well

• Jilanne Hoffmann January 7, 2016 at 1:57 pm #

Yes, you would definitely be an excellent spokesperson. I’m convinced.

8. Stacy S. Jensen January 7, 2016 at 9:55 am #

So far, we are in good with all the germs, because we get a dozen or so new library books a week. 🙂 At first I wanted to share your posts, but I have some friends, who already don’t want to utilize the library due to germs. I buy as many books as I an but I assure the best $90 in taxes I pay goes to my library system.

• Jilanne Hoffmann January 7, 2016 at 1:59 pm #

Yes, we don’t want to scare people who are already squeamish about the library away for good. So best to keep this under wraps. I’m a fan of spreading the wealth. Check out books AND buy them, the best of both worlds. Keep reading and writing, my friend. We need MORE books!

9. heylookawriterfellow January 7, 2016 at 11:28 am #

I am a strong supporter of my local library. But I prefer my books herpes-less. So off to B&N I go!

• Jilanne Hoffmann January 7, 2016 at 2:01 pm #

I see you’re one of the more squeamish ones. Goes with the handwashing, doesn’t it? Perhaps you could just invent something that will hold the book and turn the pages for you? You could make a mint!

10. Ste J January 10, 2016 at 6:41 am #

I was debating the library this year just because I am a cheapskate but you have now made me think what is more gem ridden the library books or the money I would use to buy books…

• Jilanne Hoffmann January 11, 2016 at 10:28 am #

Sounds like a toss-up. Someone just told me that (I’m thinking it’s Taiwan) has some sort of disinfecting machine that returned books pass through before going back on the shelf. Have you heard of this? I need to investigate. Regarding “real money,” I’m thinking that your credit card will help you bypass that dilemma. 😀

• Ste J January 11, 2016 at 11:46 am #

I have never heard of this, it sounds like a good idea, I wonder how it would work…

11. Letizia January 11, 2016 at 12:17 pm #

I would not like to return from the library with bedbugs, but it’s good to know that I don’t need to start reading with gloves, haha!

• Jilanne Hoffmann January 11, 2016 at 1:13 pm #

Yes, that sounds like something Howard Hughes would have done, doesn’t it? But bedbugs are to be avoided at all costs! Thanks for the chirp!

12. Laurel Leigh January 12, 2016 at 4:59 pm #

Aww, a few germy books will keep our immune systems strong. That and latex. Lots of latex. I am admittedly a bit of a germophobe, although I never for some reason equated it with books. Now, thanks to this post, I do. Oh, well. We still have to hang out at bookstores and libraries, don’t we? LOL!

• Jilanne Hoffmann January 12, 2016 at 5:46 pm #

Just carry that hand sanitizer around with you and you’ll be OK. I promise. I DON”T want to see you walking around in a latex bubble like a character from a T.C. Boyle story.

• Laurel Leigh January 13, 2016 at 10:16 am #

Thank goodness for hand sanitizers and good old-fashioned soap. Although latex in a nice pastel blue is also nice.

13. roughwighting January 15, 2016 at 12:10 pm #

This is why I wash my hands – often and then again. No matter what we touch (think: grocery cart – yikes, or just opening a store door) we’re putting those ugly germies in our system. Wash with soap and water. Slather hand lotion on. Then read.

• Jilanne Hoffmann January 15, 2016 at 12:32 pm #

That’s the key! Wash often and wash well. I do that quite a bit, and the “fingerprint recognition” system that’s supposed to unlock my iPhone always fails to work. Either my hands are too dry and cracked from all the washing (that no amount of cream can repair), or I’ve washed off key elements of my fingerprint. 😀

• roughwighting January 15, 2016 at 1:29 pm #

I’m having the exact same problem with my phone – my thumb is usually too wet still from washing up. 🙂

14. vidishakaushik January 22, 2016 at 1:07 am #

The good ol’ paperbacks will always be eternal in my opinion. They have their own charm. I really enjoyed reading your post. Here’s hoping you’ll visit my blog too!

• Jilanne Hoffmann January 22, 2016 at 9:33 am #

Thanks for visiting and commenting! Yes, they’ll be eternal—and possibly eternally germridden. 😀

• vidishakaushik January 22, 2016 at 5:45 pm #