Illustrator Influence

17 Apr

My 11-yr-old son has discovered Russ Cox, a wonderful illustrator. You can see his work at Smiling Otis Studio.

[Yes, Mike Allegra (HeyLookAWriterFellow), Otis was one of Russ’s cats. They’re everywhere! And BTW, a mouse snuck into our pantry and tore into the brown sugar, dried beans, and pancake mix. I’m thinking we’ve got a diabetic mouse on our hands. Otis, where are you? We need you! Seriously, we’ll be getting out the live-trapper to capture this critter and let him loose in a neighborhood park.]

Anyway, I digress. My son wasn’t consciously thinking about one of Russ’s drawings  when he drew this on a paper tablecloth at a restaurant last week:

IMG_3851

Organic meets inorganic

If you look at Russ’s black and white work, you may find something that looks a bit like this guy.

Happy Illustrator Day! (just thought I’d make up a new holiday)

22 Responses to “Illustrator Influence”

1. Carrie Rubin April 17, 2015 at 2:52 pm #

Your son has some great drawing chops! I’d be lucky if I could draw the small sun in the upper left corner. 🙂

2. Laurel Leigh April 17, 2015 at 4:09 pm #

I love the idea of a new holiday! Earthlings, beware? I feel like there’s something alien happening in this illo but regardless I’m intrigued. I hope he keeps drawing!

• Jilanne Hoffmann April 17, 2015 at 4:41 pm #

Yes, I think illustrators need a national holiday, don’t you?

Oh, he will! He’s constantly drawing on his homework papers, school journals, etc. Maybe this robot will eat that snail and move on to humans? That’s why I sleep with one eye open. You never know what will spring from our son’s bedroom. Robots, string traps, a real practical joker… 😀

• Laurel Leigh April 17, 2015 at 8:54 pm #

I did not know that robots ate snails. Wow, what a great fuel source, lol!

• Jilanne Hoffmann April 17, 2015 at 9:50 pm #

And less polluting than diesel. Saves gardens, too. It’s a win-win situation.

3. Lady Fancifull April 18, 2015 at 4:19 pm #

Love your son’s vision, artistry and humour. Go on, look proud, Mama, you have every reason to do so! PS, will they make friends? Will they have meaningful conversations about life, love, and the meaning of the universe or will that robocop just roll over an oblivious of danger slow coach snail? Or worse, ingest it, with a dab of garlic butter?

• Jilanne Hoffmann April 18, 2015 at 9:29 pm #

Me, proud? maybe just a bit…

Forget that garlic butter. I’m thinking they’ll make a cute couple.

• Lady Fancifull April 19, 2015 at 3:02 am #

Oh I’m so pleased. Sammy (or Sammie – its difficult to know with snails) loves Robbie (or Robby – its difficult to know with robots) and Roobie/Robby loves Sammie/Sammy.

• Jilanne Hoffmann April 19, 2015 at 12:09 pm #

Wonder what the wedding invitations would look like…

4. Margarita April 19, 2015 at 12:05 pm #

I definitely like the new holiday, Jilanne! Rodents baffle me: the scent of CAT is everywhere in our apartment since our kitty goes everywhere. My sweet husband tells me that mice smell the litterbox (even though we keep it clean for our finicky kitty). Yet they insist on making their way into our abode where the ever-vigilant Chi stands guard and quickly dispatches them. What’s up with that? 😉 xoM

• Jilanne Hoffmann April 19, 2015 at 9:17 pm #

I think mice like to taunt cats. It gives them a thrill. 😀

• Margarita April 20, 2015 at 10:31 am #

I know Chi things they’re toys, and she’s so sad when they no longer scurry around. Kind of makes me wonder about their survival instinct! 😉

5. Catherine Johnson April 20, 2015 at 6:28 am #

Ooh they are similar in style. Your son has talent! And yay for Illustrator day!

• Jilanne Hoffmann April 20, 2015 at 9:28 am #

I will let him know you appreciate his work. I think illustrators are the best!

6. heylookawriterfellow April 20, 2015 at 7:12 am #

Liam, as usual, dazzles. Give the young man my best, won’t you?

And I am glad to hear that the mice are fat and happy at Casa Hoffmann. I almost don’t mind your cat fancier instincts anymore. Almost.

• Jilanne Hoffmann April 20, 2015 at 9:26 am #

I will. And as for that fat and happy mouse, he remains elusive. Apparently, he doesn’t like the prepared food,—a morsel of blue cheese surround by delicately toasted Hawaiian sweet bread and garnished with a sprig of parsley—that we’ve set out for him. He prefers to eat like he’s camping. Or maybe he reads this blog and is onto our plan….

7. Problems With Infinity April 23, 2015 at 1:44 pm #

Very cool! Your son’t drawing is so imaginative, I love it!

• Jilanne Hoffmann April 23, 2015 at 10:17 pm #

I will let him know. Thank you! You’ve got some decent chops, too!

8. Letizia April 26, 2015 at 1:36 pm #

Your son is so talented. I love how he was able to create expression in so little lines.

p.s. I think the mouse is making a bean pancake dessert for you, be on the lookout.

• Jilanne Hoffmann April 26, 2015 at 1:52 pm #

Oh, no! Red bean and rice pancake. Sounds very New Orleans. 😀

I will send your compliments to my son. Thank you!