Hitting the “Send” Key — Squaw Valley Community of Writers

2 Apr

Tick!

Tick!

Tick!

Just sent my short story submission to the good people who direct the Squaw Valley Community of Writers. If you’ve got a story or a chapter (5,000 words or fewer) from a novel lying about the house, you’ve got until MIDNIGHT TODAY to apply for this summer’s workshop.

Hope to see you there!

P.S. I’ll be off spring breaking for the next 10 days. Spending time in the “City of the Big Shoulders.” Fifty points to anyone who can name the city referred to and the poet (Yes, it’s April, National Poetry Month) who wrote that gorgeous metaphor.

See you all on the flip side!

22 Responses to “Hitting the “Send” Key — Squaw Valley Community of Writers”

1. Carrie Rubin April 2, 2015 at 2:57 pm #

Good luck with the story and have a great spring break!

• Jilanne Hoffmann April 2, 2015 at 3:55 pm #

Thanks! What, no guess for the poet or city?? 😀

• Carrie Rubin April 2, 2015 at 4:57 pm #

I Googled it, so it would only be cheating if I posted it. 🙂

2. Lady Fancifull April 3, 2015 at 3:24 am #

Oh, like Carrie – Google makes all information external and only a click away. But i will now read the poem and enjoy your time will big shoulders, Jilanne. Well done for your tickbox for squaw. I laughed at the ‘if you’ve got a story or a novel lying around the house. I have of course, many many hundreds, in fact, in to the thousand……the only problem, is, they aren’t mine, so I call them my TBR, my TBRER. Perhaps i should just clear the shelves, ship them all to Squaw, demand my place, and enjoy listening to all you writers tell stories and hone your wonderful craft even more!

Time for you to spring off on your break, methinks

• Jilanne Hoffmann April 3, 2015 at 9:30 pm #

We’d (the royal “we,” of course) would love to have you there! 😀

3. Lady Fancifull April 3, 2015 at 3:30 am #

PS Jilanne – thanks for introducing me to that wonderful exhilarating poem Jilanne, with an almost overwhelming collection of dynamic, vibrant, muscular imagery. I loved it!

• Jilanne Hoffmann April 3, 2015 at 9:31 pm #

He captures the spirit of the city quite nicely. I’m glad you enjoyed it!

4. FictionFan April 3, 2015 at 7:05 am #

I’m going to guess Dallas on the basis of Joan Collins! Wherever it is, have a great time… and good luck with Squaw Valley! 😀

• Jilanne Hoffmann April 3, 2015 at 9:32 pm #

Ha! Wrong! 😀 But thank you for playing….and thanks for sending the leprechaun my way. May he shower us all with four leaf clovers!

5. Laurel Leigh April 3, 2015 at 8:55 am #

I feel lucky to have read (and loved) the story you’re sending to Squaw. They simply have to love it. Have a fantastic spring break!

6. heylookawriterfellow April 3, 2015 at 6:55 pm #

The City of Big Shoulders. Hm. Hoboken?

• Jilanne Hoffmann April 3, 2015 at 9:37 pm #

Ha! I thought that was the city of delicious cheese steaks. Hoboken uses the products from the stockyards of the city with big shoulders. 😀 But 25 points for guessing. 😀

7. Britt Skrabanek April 4, 2015 at 9:16 am #

Have no idea what city that is and I refuse to cheat. Good luck with the submission, honey!

• Jilanne Hoffmann April 5, 2015 at 8:09 pm #

Thanks, Britt! Got my fingers crossed. Google the poem. I think you’ll like it 😀

8. robert okaji April 5, 2015 at 2:28 pm #

“They tell me you are wicked and I believe them…” Good luck with Squaw Valley!

• Jilanne Hoffmann April 5, 2015 at 8:13 pm #

50 points to the poet in the front row!! “…for I have seen your painted women under the gas lamps luring the farm boys.”

I worship before the altar of that poem. Thanks for sending some luck my way!

9. Call of the Siren April 5, 2015 at 7:55 pm #

I’m way late to this party, Jil, but I wish you the best of luck with it! Look forward to getting an update!

• Jilanne Hoffmann April 5, 2015 at 8:15 pm #

Thanks, Nick! Never too late to join the party. 😀 Will let you know!

10. ThisKidReviewsBooks April 6, 2015 at 5:56 am #

Yup. No clue about the city, poem, or poet. 😉

11. Catherine Johnson April 6, 2015 at 6:39 am #

Good luck with the story and have a blast! No clue on the poet but I like the metaphor.

12. Kate Johnston April 10, 2015 at 12:25 pm #

Good luck with the story. I don’t know the poet. 😦