Everett Anderson – Perfect Picture Book Friday

13 Mar

It’s time for Susanna Leonard Hill’s Perfect Picture Book Friday!

Thanks to The Brown Bookshelf‘s feature on Lucille Clifton last month, I discovered her picture books. But it wasn’t easy to find them on a library shelf in San Francisco. They were sidelined in the “historical children’s” section of the Main San Francisco Public Library. Three were available for circulation: Everett Anderson’s Goodbye (Coretta Scott King Award winner), Some of the Days of Everett Anderson, and Everett Anderson’s Year.

I found the first so moving, I am compelled to feature it as a perfect picture book:

Screen Shot 2015-03-11 at 8.34.27 PMThe title page illustration:

IMG_3834

The dedication reads “for my sad friends.”

And then another illustration of the boy looking over the reader’s shoulder, searching for someone he’ s lost.

The next page serves as a table of contents:

1) Denial

2) Anger

3) Bargaining

4) Depression

5) Acceptance

The Five Stages of Grief

In these five brief poems, Clifton captures the boy’s voice and internal experience as he comes to terms with the death of his father.

Here is Everett Anderson’s anger:

“I don’t love Baby Evelyn

and I don’t love Mr. Perry, too,

and I don’t love Christmas or

Santa Claus

and I don’t love candy

and I don’t love you!”

Everett Anderson’s mama is a warm and loving presence who patiently waits for her boy to work through his emotions.

“Well, Everett,” his mama sighs,

“Who do you love?”

And he cries and cries.

This extraordinary book is a powerful tool for anyone to use with a child who’s lost a loved one. So it’s a mystery to me why it’s sitting unloved on the shelf of the historical children’s section of the SFPL. The illustrations are masterful, depicting the emotions of the boy and his mother so accurately that I wanted to reach out and hug them both.

IMG_3835

IMG_3836

Like the rest of us, Everett Anderson also bargains with death and then becomes depressed when he finds that bargaining doesn’t work, either.

But lest you think the book ends miserably, I’ll leave you with “Acceptance”:

After a little bit of time

We see an image of Everett trudging alone through the snow, then—page turn— an image of mama and Everett, holding a photo of his father:

Everett Anderson says, “I knew

my daddy loved me through and through,

and whatever happens when people die,

—page turn—

IMG_3837

love doesn’t stop, and

neither will I.”

Everett Anderson’s Goodbye is still available through Amazon, and presumably can be ordered through your local bookstore. It should not be relegated to the dustbin of history.

Title: Everett Anderson’s Goodbye

Author: Lucille Clifton

Illustrator: Ann Grifalconi

Publisher: Holt (original), now Square Fish

Pub date: 1983 (original), 1988

Ages: K-3, I might even use it as an entry point for talking about death with older children.

36 Responses to “Everett Anderson – Perfect Picture Book Friday”

1. Letizia March 13, 2015 at 8:38 am #

The drawings are so moving and powerful too. I hope it gets recategorized in the library so more children can be comforted by it.

• Jilanne Hoffmann March 13, 2015 at 9:40 am #

Exactly! But I’m not sure how, or if, that ever happens. The drawings are exquisite, aren’t they?

2. Carrie Rubin March 13, 2015 at 10:03 am #

Definitely sounds like a book that deserves better display in a library. There are few books that deal so well with the topic. This one could be a great resource for families experiencing a similarly difficult time. A great resource for those of us in pediatrics, too. Thank you.

• Jilanne Hoffmann March 13, 2015 at 11:05 am #

Sad to say that these types of books are needed, but very pleased to recommend one that is so beautifully done. Please do use it in your practice!

3. Wendy March 13, 2015 at 11:41 am #

With the Reading Rainbow imprint on it I imagine it’s received a fair amount of exposure, but it was new to me. Thanks for sharing it.

• Jilanne Hoffmann March 13, 2015 at 11:45 am #

It probably received quite a bit of exposure when it was first published. But this book is timeless, and I think it needs a little boost to get it back into circulation. Thanks for stopping by!

4. Lady Fancifull March 13, 2015 at 11:45 am #

Beautiful and heart wrenching illustrations Jilanne

• Jilanne Hoffmann March 13, 2015 at 11:47 am #

The illustrations provide so much depth. Yes, loss is heart wrenching, isn’t it? Especially when someone so young has to figure out how to deal with the loss of a parent.

• Lady Fancifull March 13, 2015 at 11:53 am #

Indeed. It’s hard enough when the parent has reached the end of their allotted years and the ‘child’ facing the loss is an adult, but for a child, unbearable

5. Patricia Tilton March 13, 2015 at 12:44 pm #

What a beautiful book on grief. I love the poetic style and the deeply moving illustrations. I am always on the outlook for good grief books to recommend. Strange where you found the book in the library. Thank you so much for sharing it as a picture book.

6. Joanne Roberts (@BookishAmbition) March 13, 2015 at 12:50 pm #

I hope you can convince the librarians how time.y this book is. Many thanks.

• Jilanne Hoffmann March 13, 2015 at 2:20 pm #

Yes, I’m trying to do my part to give it some 21st century legs!

7. FictionFan March 13, 2015 at 1:10 pm #

Lovely illustrations, but as you say, sad that such books are needed. But needed they are.

• Jilanne Hoffmann March 13, 2015 at 2:22 pm #

I had never seen Ann Grifalconi’s work before. So now I’m looking for more…Such expressiveness. Just perfect.

8. Cathy Ballou Mealey March 13, 2015 at 2:09 pm #

Timeless and beautiful – yes!

9. johnnycrabcakes March 14, 2015 at 12:22 am #

She has tackled a tough subject deftly indeed. Thank you for sharing this.
    I’ll have to see if I can find any of her books in our local library.
    And Thanks for the link to the Brown Bookshelf. I was just talking with a friend about good sources for more ethnically diverse kid’s books. What a great resource and one I will share. I will definitely be doing some more delving into that site–the “What color is my world” book by Kareem looks really cool.

• Jilanne Hoffmann March 14, 2015 at 10:23 am #

Yes, it’s a great resource! So many books to discover. I’d highly recommend buying Brown Girl Dreaming for your daughter. You should read it first, though, while Miss M gets a little more age. It is such an achingly beautiful book!

• johnnycrabcakes March 14, 2015 at 8:21 pm #

Yes–I will check it out. And the Magpie is kind of like 9 going on forty, so you never know….

10. Mrs. P March 14, 2015 at 4:34 pm #

Add a tag to your post…helping children deal with death and death and dying. It will at least give it a wider audience. Also writing a review on Good Reads and Amazon brings the ratings up so it gets promoted more. And it can be added to any other outlet you can think of. 🙂

11. Sue Heavenrich March 14, 2015 at 7:10 pm #

This sounds like a powerful book, and one that just might help some kids get out of a black hole.

• Jilanne Hoffmann March 14, 2015 at 9:30 pm #

Yes, I hope this book finds its way to those who need it. Thanks for stopping by!

12. Stacy S. Jensen March 14, 2015 at 9:38 pm #

This looks like a great book on this topic. I shared this link with a friend, who is writing about difficult topics. I hope I can find this one too.

• Jilanne Hoffmann March 14, 2015 at 9:48 pm #

I hope your library has it! Thanks for sharing this with others. I’d love to see this book out and about! Cheers!

13. ThisKidReviewsBooks March 16, 2015 at 3:33 am #

WOW! What a powerful book! The illustrations look like they could just tell the story alone.

• Jilanne Hoffmann March 16, 2015 at 9:00 am #

It’s interesting that you should say that, Erik. The saying goes something like “the illustrations should be 50% of a picture book.” I’d say that the text and illustrations do their part to bring their 50% of life to this story. Thanks for stopping by!

14. Joyce Tucker March 16, 2015 at 7:19 am #

Oh my…this sounds wonderful. I think it covers a very difficult topic in what seems, from your review, a delicate way.

• Jilanne Hoffmann March 16, 2015 at 9:07 am #

Yes, it is beautifully and artfully done. And I’m doing my best to give this book a second life. Thanks for stopping by!

15. heylookawriterfellow March 16, 2015 at 11:03 am #

Wow. This book blows me away. Beautiful!

16. Ste J March 18, 2015 at 2:46 am #

It looks like a powerful book, those illustrations…

• Jilanne Hoffmann March 18, 2015 at 9:33 am #

Tis true, that’s the magic of picture books. The text provides the hints and the illustrations knock the reader for a loop.

17. Kate Johnston March 18, 2015 at 2:54 am #

Books like this always choke me up. The artwork is beautiful.

• Jilanne Hoffmann March 18, 2015 at 9:35 am #

I can’t tell you how alone it makes me feel to look at the illustration of the little boy trudging through the snow, his scarf flying behind him in the wind. The illustrator masterfully created the sense of loss.