Gearing Up for NaNoWriMo

22 Oct

Ladies and gentlemen. Get off your writing rumpuses and line up your turtles! Have you rotated your tires? Changed the windshield wipers, oil, and brake pads? Topped off the fluids?

Don’t forget the gas.

Turtle Time

Cause you can’t waste time twiddling your thumbs once you’re out of the starting gate on November 1.

Currently, there are over 125,000 authors signed up for this year’s novel writing extravaganza. I’m one of them.

Only 1,667 words a day. I can do it. So can you!

Join a local NaNoWriMo group if you need some support or go online to a NaNoWriMo forum.

Visit NaNoWriMo for more details.

Good luck!

27 Responses to “Gearing Up for NaNoWriMo”

1. FictionFan October 22, 2013 at 11:51 am #

125,000 new books in a month???? Oh dear, I need to go lie down in a darkened room…

Good luck – just off to see if I can get a memory upgrade for my Kindle!

• Jilanne Hoffmann October 22, 2013 at 11:59 am #

Yes, it’s enough to send one over the edge, isn’t it?

• Lady Fancifull October 22, 2013 at 12:16 pm #

Never mind memory upgrades for Kindles, what about memory upgrades for ME!

• FictionFan October 22, 2013 at 12:54 pm #

I’m having myself cloned – I reckon 20,000 copies of me should be just about enough – though where they’ll all sleep, I just don’t know!

• Jilanne Hoffmann October 22, 2013 at 1:05 pm #

You can use the books to build walls for new rooms. They can sleep there. Just imagine yourselves as a small,dusty city.

2. Laurel Leigh October 22, 2013 at 3:13 pm #

Go, Jill! You may need to borrow that darkened room when November is over, but what a fabulous endeavor and writers bonding event NaNoWriMo has become. I remember when it took off and I could barely spell it. Have fun!

• Jilanne Hoffmann October 22, 2013 at 3:20 pm #

Thanks, Laurel! I may be a mere shadow of my writer’s shadow by the end of November. We’ll see.

• Laurel Leigh October 22, 2013 at 3:24 pm #

LOL, does NaNoWriMo recommend a minimum daily calorie count to accompany your daily writing? Canned champagne?

• Jilanne Hoffmann October 22, 2013 at 3:41 pm #

I’d say one calorie per word, so a minimum of 1,667 calories per day. A bottle of champagne has about 500 calories, so you’ll need at least three bottles a day. Add a little OJ, and you’re good to go!

• Laurel Leigh October 22, 2013 at 3:42 pm #

Sold! It will be like a legion of Hemingways. . .

3. heylookawriterfellow October 23, 2013 at 6:03 am #

Good luck, my friend! I shall be working the far less stressful side of the street at PiBoIdMo.

• Jilanne Hoffmann October 23, 2013 at 9:07 pm #

Thanks! And good luck to you! For a moment, I thought “I could do that, too,” but then came to my senses. Perhaps you could write a book about a little girl who’s ambitions are bigger than her stomach. 😮

4. 4amWriter October 24, 2013 at 4:36 am #

I have done my time at NaNo, and now I’m out. I made the decision based on the fact I am getting ready to write the third draft to a novel I started this year. I really want to stay committed to this story rather than starting something new. I am going to feed off the positive energy of NaNo, however, because everywhere I turn writers are all about writing. That will help push me in my own writing venture.

Good luck to you. I’ll be rooting you on!

• Jilanne Hoffmann October 24, 2013 at 9:28 am #

Thanks! It sounds like you’ve got your hands full. Too many projects at once spoils the broth, diluting the potency of each project.

You’re right. There will be plenty of energy in the air in the writing community throughout November that should be free for the taking.

Good luck to YOU!

5. Sheila October 24, 2013 at 10:48 am #

You make it sound like so much fun that I just might have to do it! I did it a few years ago and I’m always tempted again around this time of year but then I fall back into revising my other novels instead. Still, I’d love to just write again instead of all that revising. Good luck! I’ll be cheering you on!

• Jilanne Hoffmann October 24, 2013 at 1:25 pm #

Thanks, but I’d love some company! Put away those revisions for a month and take the plunge. Then go back to them “fresh” when November is over. Let me know and we can cheer each other on!

• Sheila October 28, 2013 at 1:10 pm #

I’m thinking of doing it but maybe just as a way of getting into writing short stories again instead of another novel. I could still try for 50K words even though that’s a lot of short stories! Make sure to load up on a lot of Halloween candy for that extra energy!

• Jilanne Hoffmann October 28, 2013 at 1:57 pm #

Sounds like a plan! Think of it as a book of 10 (or more) short stories.

I’ll be stealing my son’s candy for sure!

• Jilanne Hoffmann October 28, 2013 at 1:58 pm #

Let me know if you register for NaNoWriMo, and I’ll check in to see how you’re doing.

• Sheila October 31, 2013 at 10:44 am #

I guess I won’t be doing it this time around. I’m just too attached to revising my novel after all these years. I’ll be sure to cheer you on though! Get ready, get set….eat lots of chocolate!

• Jilanne Hoffmann October 31, 2013 at 11:25 am #

😮 mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

6. Letizia October 26, 2013 at 6:44 am #

Good luck, Jilanne!!

• Jilanne Hoffmann October 26, 2013 at 9:23 pm #

Thank you, Letizia! We’ll see if I make it through the month without a major melt down. 😮

• Letizia October 27, 2013 at 10:46 am #

Let us know how it goes – we’re here to support you if you need it!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks