Writers and Research

1 Jul

I just watched a YouTube video of a sheep c-section. Oh, what writers will do in the name of research for a story.

John Grisham eat your heart out.

You, too, can watch it if you choose, because you never know when you’ll need this kind of background info. The music is catchy, too. 😮

24 Responses to “Writers and Research”

1. Subtlekate July 1, 2013 at 1:46 am #

Now that is dedication to your craft.

2. Joe Niemczura, RN, MS July 1, 2013 at 5:30 am #

hi –

cool. for me I’ll pass on he video – I have seen and helped out during a few of these on people. m question would be – did he sheep get a bikini incision/

• Jilanne Hoffmann July 1, 2013 at 11:33 am #

To me, it look like a left flank incision after an epidural. The sheep was lying on its side and they shaved a portion of the sheep’s wool so that the scalpel could do its work.

I, OTOH, have first-hand experience with the bikini cut since my son refused to enter the world at home. 😮

3. FictionFan July 1, 2013 at 6:26 am #

Gosh, how tempting! 😉

4. heylookawriterfellow July 1, 2013 at 9:04 am #

I choose not.

• Jilanne Hoffmann July 1, 2013 at 12:16 pm #

Got any tales about research you’ve done for your work? That would make a great post.

• heylookawriterfellow July 2, 2013 at 8:07 am #

Not really.

I have been sternly reprimanded for taking notes with a pen in a historical archive. Pencils only, apparently.

• Jilanne Hoffmann July 2, 2013 at 10:17 pm #

Ya gotta watch out for librarians with tasers. They take pens and their jobs seriously–as they should! I’m sure you looked pretty shifty in there, too, what with your secret agent decoder ring and 4th of July hat borrowed from Harold.

• heylookawriterfellow July 3, 2013 at 6:32 am #

I can only assume that they have had problems with maniac pen-weilders scribbling on the artifacts.

I wasn’t wearing Harold’s Hat at the time, but I was sporting a ten-gallon hat as well as a bandana that covered my nose and mouth.

Hm. Perhaps they had reason to be jumpy.

5. limebirdwriters July 2, 2013 at 4:33 am #

Hmm, think I’ll pass…. 😛 Beth

6. Letizia July 2, 2013 at 11:16 am #

I will save this viewing for another day but if I ever find myself near the local sheep farm and see a sheep in duress during delivery, I will take out my iphone and quickly come back to your blog and be able to help her out!

And if I do, I promise to name one of the lambs after you.

• Jilanne Hoffmann July 2, 2013 at 12:12 pm #

I have ruminated (ha!) on your response. Here’s mine:

I would be honored.

I didn’t think of this post as an ovine public health service, but now I see it in a brand new light. 😮

7. Laurel Leigh July 5, 2013 at 9:59 am #

Good for you, Jill! Since we just read your story “The Hippocratic Oath” over at the Dogpatch, where you render a tense barnyard birthing scene that goes awry, I think it’s awesome dedication to your craft. And why is everyone opposed to a sheep video when everyone seems to be in the hospital with their video cameras when their own baby is born. Miracle of life, people, however it comes into the world. 🙂

8. Shakti Ghosal July 9, 2013 at 6:21 am #

So what is it we could do to really protect artifacts?

Shakti

9. tchistorygal July 20, 2013 at 2:03 pm #

You almost had me on the catchy music! I had to turn the channel when I saw they were actually going to cut. Dead fetus I didn’t want to see. 🙂

• Jilanne Hoffmann July 21, 2013 at 11:28 pm #

Yes, theere is no happy ending for the sheep–in the video or my short story.