Squaw Valley Writers Workshop or Bust!

10 May

This just in—the magic 8 ball says:

I will be attending the Squaw Valley Writers Workshop in Fiction

Anybody else out there going, too???

Conference History

The Community of Writers was established in 1969 by novelists Blair Fuller and Oakley Hall, who were both residents of the valley. It was originally staffed by a band of San Francisco writers including David Perlman, Walter Ballenger, Barnaby Conrad and John Leggett, the latter two of whom went on to found, respectively, the Santa Barbara Writers Conference and the Napa Writers Conference. The Community of Writers continues to be directed by Brett Jones.

Over the years the community has mounted workshops in Fiction, Nonfiction, Screenwriting, Playwriting, Poetry, and Nature Writing (the Art of the Wild Program, which was co-produced by the University of California at Davis), and Writing the Medical Experience. Lisa Alvarez and Louis B. Jones now co-direct the Fiction Program and Michael Carlisle directs the nonfiction Program of the Writers Workshop, which were for twenty years directed by Carolyn Doty. Literary agent Michael Carlisle directs the Nonfiction Program. Galway Kinnell directed the Poetry Program for 17 years and Robert Hass has directed it since 2004. Diana Fuller directs the Screenwriters Workshop, which was founded by screenwriters Tom Rickman and Gill Dennis.

The Community publishes theĀ Omnium Gatherum & Newsletter,chronicling the publishing and other successes of its participants and staff.

8 Responses to “Squaw Valley Writers Workshop or Bust!”

1. heylookawriterfellow May 10, 2013 at 12:02 pm #

Yours is the last blog post I’m reading before my vaycay — and I’m so glad it is.

Congrats, my friend! What fantastic news!

2. Laurel Leigh May 10, 2013 at 2:40 pm #

Woo hoo! Congratulations, Jill. It’s such an awesome conference and you are going to have such a great time. Did I mention to take the roommate option?!? I can’t wait to hear all about it. One more thing. Have ready a short piece, no more than a couple pages, in case you win a “raffle ticket” and get to read aloud to the group at Sands’ open workshop.

• Jilanne Hoffmann May 10, 2013 at 2:57 pm #

Thanks for the tip, Laurel! I’ve got one I’ve been shopping out, so I’ll take it with me. Yippee!!

3. Letizia May 11, 2013 at 10:00 am #

Can’t wait to hear all about it – have a wonderful, creative time!

4. alundeberg May 11, 2013 at 2:12 pm #

That sounds like a lot of fun! Be sure to post about your experience!

• Jilanne Hoffmann May 11, 2013 at 2:31 pm #

I hope to send out at least one post from there. We’ll see if the frenetic schedule will allow. Otherwise, I will once I return.