Dusting Bookshelves – A Poll

20 Apr

So I was primed for a long workday, but I happened to glance at my bookshelves—and realized I haven’t dusted them since the Cubs won the World Series.

stamps & bookshelves 008

Dusting the old folks…

It never pays to ID household shortcomings, because it is now noon. My bookshelves are dust-free, the carpets swept, and the HEPA air purifier filters changed. I also fired up the shop vac to suck a layer off the book tops, considering the growth at eye level was visible from five paces.

My questions  to you?

Guess I’ll be working late tonight after my son goes to bed…

16 Responses to “Dusting Bookshelves – A Poll”

1. heylookawriterfellow April 20, 2013 at 9:09 am #

Dust is important on books. It tells you whether or not a book is overdue for a reread.

• Jilanne Hoffmann April 20, 2013 at 4:33 pm #

Or whether I’m culturing a new species.

To your point, since I’ve destroyed the evidence, I can rest easy and buy more books because none of them are now due for a reread, right?

2. Letizia April 21, 2013 at 8:39 am #

This post really made me laugh, especially the option of “never. I take Claritin instead”. Too funny! I usually end of dusting every other week as my eyes gaze over at my books in my mind’s attempt to distract me from my work….

• Jilanne Hoffmann April 21, 2013 at 10:08 am #

That’s why one of the tags on this post is “procrastination.” 😮

3. Carrie Rubin April 23, 2013 at 5:50 am #

Ah, yes, I don’t do this nearly enough. Score one for the e-book. No dusting required…

• Jilanne Hoffmann April 24, 2013 at 6:04 pm #

I see you’re in the “I never want to dust a book again during my lifetime,” camp. Are you suffering from some deep childhood trauma where dusting was forced on you for hours at a time?

4. Call of the Siren April 24, 2013 at 3:08 pm #

I’m, once again, late to this party — just want to say that I’ve got several of those Joyce books too, along with Faustus. It was fun to snoop a look at your shelves. Book people can be the most boring guests at a dinner party — just because we’d rather be looking at the shelves!

On dust: I like layers of dust. It makes me feel like my books are part of the monastery library in “Name of the Rose”!

• Jilanne Hoffmann April 24, 2013 at 6:11 pm #

Yes, I’m always interested in what people have on their shelves. Instead of gravatars, I think we should take pictures of our bookshelves and post them as a kind of “writers/readers Rorschach test.”

A monastery library. Oh, the thrill of it all! Finding some long forgotten treasure under a pile of ancient dust bunnies. I get chills just thinking of it.

• Call of the Siren April 25, 2013 at 11:14 am #

It’s the best kind of discovery when you “find” something that you forgot you had!

I think that’s a good idea about the bookshelves — maybe there’s something for a collective effort with you and I and some other bloggers. We could call it ‘What’s On Your Shelf?’ Day … with links to each other’s posts

• Jilanne Hoffmann April 25, 2013 at 11:24 am #

I think that’s a great idea. Have you checked out a blog called orwell1627? You might find it interesting if you have a spare artery dedicated to Shakespeare.

• Jilanne Hoffmann April 25, 2013 at 11:25 am #

Actually, his blog is called “The Great Conversation.” His gravatar is orwell1627.

• Call of the Siren April 25, 2013 at 11:57 am #

I’ll check it out, thanks for letting me know. If we can have even just 5 or 6 posts of nothing but bookshelves, how cool is that?

5. mskatykins May 28, 2013 at 11:32 am #

I was going to ask if you’d read ‘Ulysses’ and then I saw all of the other Joyce/related books and I found my answer! 🙂 Wow. Dusting is a thankless job. Do you do it with a damp cloth to pick up dust rather than spread it around…? I have a dust allergy. Does air purifying help?

• Jilanne Hoffmann May 28, 2013 at 7:55 pm #

Yes, I took a semester class on Joyce, so I’ve got quite a few on my shelf. I have yet to read Finnegan’s Wake and most likely never will.

I use an olive oil furniture spray polish on a cloth. Our son’s room has a Whispure Air Purifier. It greatly diminishes the amount of dust that collects in his room. It’s a HEPA purifier so it does a fantastic job, so I would recommend it.