Alien Invasion – A Graphic Novel

20 Mar

An alien spacecraft appears, sucking up space garbage for fuel.

Cover page

Oh, noooo! Young Zokx’s spacecraft gets pulled into a nebula–

that sends him hurtling toward an unknown planet.

Zokx’s arrival makes breaking news.

Hapkido and comic 012

He abandons his spacecraft before it crashes.

Distraught at the loss of his spacecraft and unaware of the dangers of high-tech 4x4s, Zokx’s first earthly experience makes a lasting impression.

Hapkido and comic 013

The following page resembles the “teaser” usually found on the last page of a paperback.

comic back page 001

So there you have it folks.The first installment of my 9-yr-old son’s comic novel.

And if that’s not enough, he also created a “Celebrate Falling” stamp:

Celebrate Falling

to send to HeyLookAWriterFellow(Mike Allegra) as a thank you for drawing a “Celebrate Cats!” stamp —despite Mike’s deep dislike for all things feline.

It all started with HACKS, the Just Say No to Celebrity Books campaign, if you want to do a little research.

So what do you think? Do you want to see a second installment when the budding graphic novelist is finished?

20 Responses to “Alien Invasion – A Graphic Novel”

1. heylookawriterfellow March 20, 2013 at 12:32 pm #

Yes, yes, yes!

2. alundeberg March 20, 2013 at 1:14 pm #

Yes! Bring on the next section! I want to know what happens to Zokx. I love the celebrate falling stamp. Your son’s humor reminds me of one of my students, who is rather dry and irreverent. I always look forward to grading his work just to see what he came up with.

Although, it took me a moment to realize that Zokx got hit by a car and not a length of wood. I thought maybe he landed in a construction site. Ha!

• Jilanne Hoffmann March 20, 2013 at 1:28 pm #

Ah, yes, that’s funny! A 4×4 could be a piece of wood or an SUV.

I’ll let him know that his “fans” await the second installment. No pressure. :o)

3. robincoyle March 20, 2013 at 2:20 pm #

What a talented young man!

• Jilanne Hoffmann March 20, 2013 at 5:23 pm #

On some days. Let’s just say that, like any 9-yr-old, he’s a work in progress. I will pass along your praise for his work. Thank you!

4. Call of the Siren March 20, 2013 at 3:19 pm #

I couldn’t agree more with the other comments, Jilanne. I love your son’s imagination (and his drawing, he’s got mad skills!), and also the way you present it. I’ve got a nine year old at home who needs to see this!

• Jilanne Hoffmann March 20, 2013 at 5:34 pm #

Thank you, Nick! He and some friends have been drawing together ever since kindergarten. It’s good to see so many kids absorbed with “creating” rather than consuming–although they have plowed their way through a fair share of Tintin, Captain Underpants, and Squish.

5. Laurel Leigh March 20, 2013 at 5:54 pm #

I’m so not surprised that your offspring is creative! Yes, I want to see more!

6. Letizia March 21, 2013 at 12:38 pm #

This is FANTASTIC! I definitely want to see a second installment!

• Jilanne Hoffmann March 21, 2013 at 12:43 pm #

Thank you, Letizia! He’s very excited to see so many positive responses.

7. mskatykins March 22, 2013 at 3:04 am #

This is very, very impressive! My man keeps bugging me because I’ve been “working on” a graphic design for the best part of a year now… I need to get my butt into gear! Kudos to your boy, make sure he keeps going! 🙂

• Jilanne Hoffmann March 22, 2013 at 12:22 pm #

Thanks! You know, some things just can’t be rushed. With that said, you’ve been a bit distracted by other things. 😮 So maybe you’ll have a little more time now to work on your design projects!

• mskatykins March 26, 2013 at 12:45 pm #

Yes, I need to get my backside into gear, really! I’m taking too too long getting back into the swing of things!

8. Samir March 23, 2013 at 2:39 pm #

Cool 😀

• Jilanne Hoffmann March 23, 2013 at 10:58 pm #

Thanks, Samir. He’s really enjoying the process. And isn’t that what it’s all supposed to be about?

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Celebrate—Illustrators!! | Jilanne Hoffmann - April 16, 2013

[…] a comic book (see post “Alien Invasion – A Graphic Novel” and sending them as […]