Valentine – 100 Word Challenge

8 Feb

Response to Julia’s:

100 word challenge

There it is, lying just beneath the surface. Your desire for life, your longing for love, your trust that it will come. Water like liquid glass, hiding nothing. The occasional perturbation lasting no more than a moment. Then gone. The assumption so clear, unquestioned, certain. But it is not. Valentine fool, lured into this false security. Love’s  viper peers, waits for a momentary lapse, a weakness, the ripple that leaves you looking elsewhere. Toys with your belief, until, too late, the fangs of folly pierce an artery, injecting poison. Leaves you gasping—then left for dead. Happy Valentine’s Day!

11451972_s

9 Responses to “Valentine – 100 Word Challenge”

1. mskatykins February 9, 2013 at 1:55 am #

‘Loves viper peers’… I love that phrase. 🙂

• Jilanne Hoffmann February 9, 2013 at 2:28 pm #

I am a big fan of reading aloud. So much so that I find the sounds of words intoxicating. DIdn’t mean to be such a downer (especially for someone who’s getting married), but it was a fun exercise. :o)

2. heylookawriterfellow February 10, 2013 at 7:06 am #

Um. Lovely sentiment.

• Jilanne Hoffmann February 10, 2013 at 10:48 am #

So you’re saying I shouldn’t apply for a job at Hallmark?

• heylookawriterfellow February 11, 2013 at 6:15 am #

Actually, you probably should. I’ll bet you could uncover a huge, untapped market.

3. scribblesandblocks February 10, 2013 at 7:11 pm #

Valentines day is a poisonous ‘holiday’ pushed by consumerism.

• Jilanne Hoffmann February 10, 2013 at 7:33 pm #

Then I guess you liked my entry for the 100-word challenge…

4. limebirdwriters February 18, 2013 at 1:16 am #

Ohh I enjoyed this different take on Valentine’s Day 🙂 Beth

• Jilanne Hoffmann February 18, 2013 at 1:30 pm #

Thanks! I get tired of the same super sweet sentiments for this “holiday.” Glad you liked it!