I’m Off!

27 Jun

Dear Presserheads (what do you think of this newly-coined term?),

Thanks to friends who are taking care of our place and our living greenery, on Saturday morning our family is boldly going where thousands of tourists have gone before. We will be flying in to San Jose, Costa Rica,

and then hopping a bus to Puntarenas for a week with friends, then off to the mountain highlands of Turrialba for a week of Spanish immersion, then to the lost coast of Tortuguero for five days to watch turtles lay eggs (and we’ll probably swat a few mosquitoes), then to the beaches of Puerto Viejo for a week of Spanish immersion and beach-bumming, and then to the Osa Peninsula (if we can ford a few rivers in the “Green” season) for the final five days. We hope to live lightly; wander through the rainforest; enjoy the hospitality of the famously warm and generous Ticos; learn some geography, history, and Spanish; and perhaps fall off a surfboard a few times, as well.  WIFI is supposed to be notoriously fickle in those parts, so I will have to write the old-fashioned way and save the transmission of extremely vital, life-changing information for our return. I have yet to decide which books I will be taking, although I’m considering:

Image of César Aira’s “Varamo”              The Facts of WinterTrain DreamsLeaving the Atocha Station4347654860_feac730865_o.jpg

You all keep calm and carry on. Til August, ciao!

12 Responses to “I’m Off!”

1. alundeberg June 27, 2012 at 8:56 pm #

Have a great time! I can’t wait to hear about all of your experiences– your trip sounds amazing!

2. heylookawriterfellow June 28, 2012 at 6:20 am #

My most recent trip was to Pennsylvania so, um, I can totally relate!

Ahem.

Your trip sounds incredible. Have a wonderful time!

• Jilanne Hoffmann June 29, 2012 at 3:20 pm #

I hear the mosquitoes are just as big in Pennsylvania–or is it Minnesota? Thanks!

3. Laurel Leigh June 29, 2012 at 9:18 am #

Take all the books – I wonder if you will crack even one open as there will be so much else to see and do. Have a well-deserved vacation and bring back some good stories. I will miss your blog while you’re gone, so I might have to read some of those books…

• Jilanne Hoffmann June 29, 2012 at 10:56 am #

Ha! You’re right. I’m packing right now. Only allowed 25 lb. on domestic flights within Costa Rica. Some things will have to stay. :o) See you on the flip side!

4. nyparrot June 29, 2012 at 2:54 pm #

Have a safe and fun trip!

5. mskatykins June 30, 2012 at 3:32 am #

What a fabulous sound adventure! I’m in desperate need of a holiday! I hope you have a wonderful time. They look like really interesting reads too, I shall look forward to hearing all about how you get on with it all. 🙂

6. subtlekate July 2, 2012 at 1:25 am #

You are the brave one amoung us Pressheads. Forge on.
    Have a fantastic time and come back with a great (safe) tan.

7. nyparrot July 2, 2012 at 4:27 pm #

Hello Jilanne,
    I am very excited to let you know that I have nominated you for the Inspiring Blog Award. I have included a brief explanation of what makes your blog so inspirational to me here:
    Thanks for inspiring me, and may inspiration be always present in abundance in your life!

8. alundeberg July 2, 2012 at 5:54 pm #

Hi there, I have nominated you for the Illuminating Blogger award! You can view your nomination at http://readncook.wordpress.com/2012/07/03/if-you-want-something-done-give-it-to-a-busy-person/. Congrats and keep writing!