Name That Book!

22 Jun

And now, ladies and gentlemen, it’s time for Name That Book! We’ve identified several people in our studio audience who think they know a thing or two about “great” literature (no not you, Professor Bloom), so we’re going to challenge them. The first one to identify the “home” of the following passage wins a pat on the back from the Writer’s Shadow!

I am the way into the doleful city,

I am the way into eternal grief,

I am the way to a forsaken race.

Justice it was that moved my great creator;

Divine omnipotence created me,

And highest wisdom joined with primal love.

Before me nothing but eternal things

were made, and I shall last eternally.

Abandon hope, all you who enter.”

11 Responses to “Name That Book!”

1. Kirsten June 22, 2012 at 12:11 pm #

Winnie the Pooh?

2. Richard June 22, 2012 at 12:55 pm #

Dhalgren, of course.

3. Richard June 22, 2012 at 12:57 pm #

Just kidding, I have to guess here. Dante or Milton

• Jilanne Hoffmann June 22, 2012 at 1:00 pm #

Michael beat you to it, although he just sent me a message via FB instead of posting here. Yes, it is Dante. It is the inscription written above the gates of hell.

4. Jilanne Hoffmann June 22, 2012 at 11:27 pm #

Just realized I confirmed the author but not the name of the book. Tis “The Divine Comedy Vol. 1: Inferno”

• mskatykins June 24, 2012 at 1:56 pm #

I bought my man a really nice copy of that recently… I’m so glad that someone got the correct answer before I had to show my ignorance! 🙂

• Jilanne Hoffmann June 24, 2012 at 10:14 pm #

So many books! So little time! How can one expect to read everything? I hope your man likes it. It’s pretty intense, as any visit to hell should be. :o)

• mskatykins June 24, 2012 at 11:16 pm #

He’s ‘yet to read it’ but ‘looking forward to it’… Sounds like me on most of my books! 🙂

5. Michael June 25, 2012 at 7:03 pm #

I assumed you would not want me to give it away. That’s why I responded privately. As to which answer deserves the biggest prize…Winnie was an inspired choice.