Can Fiction Writing Be Taught?

13 Jun

Writing is like sailing.

You go where the wind takes you, but it can be lifesaving to have a chart

and a few other tools for navigation.

Oh, and it never hurts to have a Painkiller at the ready.

10 Responses to “Can Fiction Writing Be Taught?”

1. idiotprufs June 15, 2012 at 9:31 am #

Do writers tend to be alcoholics, or do alcoholics tend to be writers?

• Jilanne Hoffmann June 15, 2012 at 10:07 am #

Given that every profession has its share of alcoholics, writers cannot pretend to have cornered the market on alcoholism. However, the public is often more aware of their pecadilloes via memoir or fame’s magnifying lens.

I chose to highlight a “Painkiller” at the end of my post for two reasons:

1) On a daily basis writers bemoan their painfully imperfect sentences as they pile up into painfully imperfect paragraphs, chapters, and novels. A Painkiller would serve as a panacea for their struggles (with a wink-wink, mind you); and

2) A Painkiller is also associated with sailing, especially in the Caribbean.

Is that more than you wanted to know? :o)

2. mskatykins June 23, 2012 at 6:44 am #

Ooh, I hope you’ll play along with this game of Blog Tag:

• Jilanne Hoffmann June 23, 2012 at 11:24 am #

Hi Kate, I’m sorry, but our family is getting ready to leave on a trip, and I am going to be “out of commission” for the month of July. I would love to play, but I’ve got a short story to finish for a competition before I go, packing to do, my clients’ work to finish, etc. I’m not sure how often I will be posting or commenting for awhile. Have fun, and perhaps I can play when we get back. Ciao!

• mskatykins June 24, 2012 at 4:35 pm #

Have a fabulous time away! Will look forward to reading about all of your adventures when you return. 🙂

• Jilanne Hoffmann June 24, 2012 at 10:15 pm #

Thanks! I’m behind on the things I need to do, but I can’t keep myself away from WP. I will miss all you lovely peeps!

• mskatykins June 24, 2012 at 11:15 pm #

Tell me about, it’s horribly addictive, isn’t it? 🙂
          We’ll miss you too! 🙂

3. Susan LaDue July 20, 2012 at 6:36 am #

Can’t imagine writing with pain killer in my brain, but it sure is nice when I quit for the day!